The Nebraska Department of Justice strives to provide excellent legal representation to the State of Nebraska in service to its citizens. A strong commitment to public service is desirable in the hiring of law clerks, administrative staff, investigators, and assistant attorney generals. If you share in our mission of excellence in public service and are interested in furthering your career as a member of our legal team, we invite you to send a cover letter, resume, writing sample and transcript to: Dana.Hoffman@nebraska.gov or
Director of Operations
Nebraska Department of Justice
2115 State Capitol
Lincoln, NE 68509
The Nebraska Department of Justice is an equal opportunity employer and applies Nebraska’s Veterans Preference Law.
The Nebraska Department of Justice seeks a full-time forensic accountant.
The position will conduct investigations of criminal financial fraud particularly fraud committed against senior citizens and vulnerable adults. The investigations will require the candidate to:
- Draft subpoenas;
- Review and analyze documents and other materials produced to, or obtained by, the Attorney General in the course of an investigation, including corporate records, financial statements, tax filings, and other confidential or proprietary materials;
- Prepare investigative reports and affidavits which may be used in court;
- Work collaboratively with other investigators, Assistant Attorneys General, and other Nebraska Department of Justice staff;
- Collaborate with municipal, county, state and federal law enforcement agencies in the investigation of related matters;
- Gather, identify, preserve and prepare evidence for use in court, including physical evidence and witness statements;
- Provide objective and credible testimony in state and federal court;
- Maintain confidentiality regarding ongoing investigations and other matters not subject to public disclosure.
Qualifications / Requirements
REQUIREMENTS: Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, criminal justice or a related field. Demonstrated experience conducting financial audits. Holds or is in the process of obtaining certifications as CFE, CPA, CIA, or CGFM.
PREFERRED: At least one year of experience as an investigator or examiner for a law enforcement agency, regulatory agency, accounting firm or financial institution.
OTHER: Applicant accepting a job offer must pass a background check.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Maintains and demonstrates a high level of professionalism and the ability to communicate effectively with others. Must be dependable, focused, detail-oriented and accurate in their work. Strong analytical abilities and writing skills required.
Candidates with knowledge of the following are preferred: forensic accounting,; methods and techniques for effectively conducting a law enforcement or regulatory investigation; evidentiary law and the rules of criminal and civil procedure.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Full-time state benefits available.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and references to Dana Hoffman, Director of Operations (Dana.Hoffman@Nebraska.gov). Questions regarding the position may also be directed to the same email address.
The Nebraska Department of Justice is an equal opportunity employer. This position is eligible for veterans’ preference.